I offered to write a blog post for Sew Sew Sew as soon as I saw the Instagram story request. I was so excited to be given the opportunity! There were so many lovely fabrics to choose from, but I had my eye on the Grace Viscose Twill. I love floral print, spots and mustard so it’s a perfect combination. I also love that it’s an ex high street fabric which will be saved from landfill for longer. In fact, before offering to write the blog I had almost broken a self-imposed fabric ban to buy it!!
Here’s a close up of the fabric that I took:
I knew that the drapey fabric would be perfect my first Deer and Doe Myosotis dress.
I opted for view A, but decided to lengthen the dress in the style of a favourite, and much worn high street dress that I (and everyone else) own – yes, THAT Zara dress!
My fabric arrived really quickly (and beautifully packaged in mustard), and came straight out of the envelope to be pre-washed. It’s so soft and has a gorgeous drape.
I laid out the original (traced) pattern pieces, but then decided to leave cutting the skirt until last to see what length I had left to play with. As you can see, a lot of the pattern pieces are simple rectangles that are gathered and joined together. Given the soft drape of the fabric, I had to be really careful that the fold and pieces were straight.
The pattern has quite a lot of ease and a more oversized look. I used the finished measurements to work out which size to sew and the fit that I wanted.
For reference, I chose to cut and sew a size 34 (finished measurements: bust 36⅝, waist 29 ½ and hip 63).
I couldn’t wait to get started sewing – fortunately, I had the perfect coloured thread in my stash.
The fabric was a dream to sew with and didn’t even cause any difficulties when finishing the seams with the over locker.
The bodice came together quickly, but I had to pause my project to decide on the perfect buttons (the button holes are sewn before joining the bodice to the skirt). Fortunately, my Mum offered me these buttons from my Great Aunt’s sewing box that was passed on to us. I don’t know what she used the other two buttons for, but I hope that she would like that they are a part of something I’ve made (and LOVE – but more on that below).
I knew that I was going to love this dress and I couldn’t wait to finish sewing it (and I wished I had time just to sit and sew instead of work!)
The fabric gathered really nicely and (relatively) evenly. I decided to overlock the raw edges before gathering and attaching to stop the fabric from fraying.
[For the keen eyes – YES it has pockets!!]
I put it on ‘hot’ off the sewing machine, even though it needed hemming and buttons (excuse the bin in the background!!!) Despite wanting to finish it IMMEDIATELY, I decided to let it hang overnight to see if the fabric dropped before hemming it.
I couldn’t wait any longer – I pressed and hemmed it whilst eating my breakfast (!!!) the following morning (Thursday), just in time for what was predicted to be the hottest day on record. The fabric and pattern are perfect for the hot weather.
I found the perfect backdrop for photographs in Anthropologie, Leeds on a day out with my sisters. The dress is definitely going to be a much-loved favourite.
Thank you all for reading – I hope this has inspired you to sew (and break any self-imposed fabric bans).